Edmunds’ Pharmacology for the Primary Care Provider, 5th Edition (Original PDF from Publisher)
By Constance G Visovsky PhD RN ACNP-BC FAAN, Cheryl H Zambroski PhD RN, Rebecca M. Lutz
Master the pharmacologic principles and drug information you need to safely and effectively prescribe drugs for primary care! Edmunds’ Pharmacology for the Primary Care Provider, 5th Edition is written for Nurse Practitioners, other Advanced Practice Nursing prescribers, and Physician Assistants. Unlike other pharmacotherapeutics textbooks, it focuses on the drugs most commonly used in primary care settings. A new chapter format and body-system approach make learning easier, and standardized clinical guidelines ensure best practices in pharmacotherapeutics. Updated and impeccably accurate drug content includes the latest drug classes, specific drugs, and therapeutic uses in primary care. Continuing to emphasize health promotion strategies, this new edition includes new chapters on pharmacogenetics, drugs for ADHD, nutritional supplements, and more.
- Comprehensive pharmacotherapeutics content is written specifically for Nurse Practitioners, other Advanced Practice Nurses, and Physician Assistants.
- Focus on key drugs highlights the most commonly prescribed and most representative drugs of each major drug class ― with particular emphasis on the top 100 prescribed drugs.
- Emphasis on patient teaching helps you communicate with patients and family caregivers to promote adherence to the drug regimen.
- Emphasis on health promotion describes how to help patients stay well and improve their health, including coverage of vitamins, weight management, immunizations and biologicals, and smoking cessation.
- Complementary and Alternative Therapies tables highlight significant dietary and herbal interactions with FDA-approved drugs.
- NEW! Thoroughly updated content reflects the latest drug information and current thinking on pharmacologic management.
- NEW macro- and chapter-level organization is based on body systems rather than drug classes, for better coverage of the medications prescribed for the health problems affecting specific body systems.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Chapter format begins with an overview of anatomy, physiology, and disease processes ― as opposed to drug classes or drug types ― and then follows the World Health Organization’s Process for Rational Prescribing, using a six-step approach to drug selection and discussing first-, second-, and third-line treatments for each specific problem.
- NEW! Practical learning aids include:
- Black Box Warning boxes that draw attention to critical drug safety precautions.
- Clinical Guidelines: Bookmark This features that identify websites where updated clinical guidelines can be found.
- Medication Dosages tables that include dose ranges, maintenance doses, and, where appropriate, plans for dose escalation and de-escalation (e.g., corticosteroids).
- Practice Pearls boxes that highlight good prescribing practices, safety measures, follow-up recommendations, serum blood level monitoring, referrals to specialty providers, and other key prescriber tips.
- NEW! Prescribing Considerations unit addresses issues of medication adherence, prescription writing, cost, and quality assurance.
- NEW! Updated coverage of pain management reflects the current realities of substance use and the opioid crisis.
- Publisher : Elsevier; 5th edition (July 13, 2022)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 864 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0323661173
- ISBN-13 : 978-0323661171
- ISBN-13 : 9780323661171
- eText ISBN: 9780323661683
- eText ISBN: 9780323661690