Biological Safety: Principles and Practices, 5th Edition (ASM Books) (Original PDF from Publisher)
Biological safety and biosecurity protocols are essential to the reputation and responsibility of every scientific institution, whether research, academic, or production. Every risk―no matter how small―must be considered, assessed, and properly mitigated. If the science isn’t safe, it isn’t good. Now in its fifth edition, Biological safety: Principles and Practices remains the most comprehensive biosafety reference.
Led by editors Karen Byers and Dawn Wooley, a team of expert contributors have outlined the technical nuts and bolts of biosafety and biosecurity within these pages. This book presents the guiding principles of laboratory safety, including: the identification, assessment, and control of the broad variety of risks encountered in the lab; the production facility; and, the classroom.
Specifically, Biological Safety covers
- protection and control elements―from biosafety level cabinets and personal protection systems to strategies and decontamination methods
- administrative concerns in biorisk management, including regulations, guidelines, and compliance
- various aspects of risk assessment covering bacterial pathogens, viral agents, mycotic agents, protozoa and helminths, gene transfer vectors, zooonotic agents, allergens, toxins, and molecular agents as well as decontamination, aerobiology, occupational medicine, and training
A resource for biosafety professionals, instructors, and those who work with pathogenic agents in any capacity, Biological safety is also a critical reference for laboratory managers, and those responsible for managing biohazards in a range of settings, including basic and agricultural research, clinical laboratories, the vivarium, field study, insectories, and greenhouses.
- Item Weight:5.14 pounds
- Hardcover:741 pages
- eText ISBN: 9781683673132
- eText ISBN: 9781555819637
- eText ISBN: 9781523112586
- eText ISBN: 9781683670643
- Dimensions:8.7 x 1.5 x 11.1 inches
- Publisher:ASM Press; 5th edition (February 22, 2017)